English testing level C – Exam 1
1. Food prices have been ________ steadily for at least twenty years.
2. I’ll have to study very hard, ________ I can pass the exam.
3. You ________ to eat if you don’t feel like it.
4. We’ll play tennis and ________ we’ll have lunch.
5. He has to go to Canada for the next ________ of his training.
6. When the meeting had finished, they went ________ the plan once again.
7. We locked the animals in the cage to ________ them from getting away.
8. You’re ________ your time trying to persuade him; he’ll never help you.
9. Their last cook was better than their ________ one.
10. I am grateful to you for being so patient ________ him.
11. Do you mean to say you exchanged that lovely car ________ this?
12. The weather was ________ the exceptionally poor harvest.
13. She is teaching two classes and is examining at a literature exam tomorrow. ________, she is chairing a meeting at the Pen Club.
14. I don’t see any ________ in arriving early at the theatre if the show doesn’t start until 9 o’clock.
15. His application for a visa was turned ________ by the consulate.
16. Shopping malls account for 60 percent of the retail business done in the United States because they are controlled environments which ________ concerns about the weather.
17. It is ________ impossible to tell the twins apart.
18. The man known as Bonnie Prince Charlie claimed that he was the ________ heir to the throne.
19. The rather humid climate in no way ________ from the beauty of the place.
20. ________ no need to buy traveller’s cheques since most countries take credit cards.