The TOEIC exam
The Test of English for International Communication is produced by ETS (Educational Testing Service).
Who is it for?
The Test is used by organisations to determine whether an employee is suitable for a particular task. If you work or want to work for a large organisation, particularily in Asia, then the TOEIC test will be useful to you.
What is the TOEIC test like?
There are two separate parts to the TOEIC test:
- The Listening and Reading test is a paper and pencil test that takes 2.5 hours and is taken at a test centre.
- The Speaking and Writing test is an online test that is taken in a test centre and takes 90 minutes. The Speaking and Writing test is a new test which is only available in some countries.
What about scores?
The TOEIC Reading and Listening gives a score between 10 and 990:
- 905 – 990 International Proficiency
- 785 – 900 Working Proficiency Plus
- 605 – 780 Limited Working Proficiency
- 405 – 600 Elementary Proficiency Plus
- 255 – 400 Elementary Proficiency
- 185 – 250 Memorised Proficiency
- 10 – 180 No Useful Proficiency
TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests are scored out of 200.
How much does it cost to take TOEIC?
Fees are set by test centres. Expect to pay around $85 USD for each component (Listening and Reading / Speaking and Writing).